Manager of Energy & SustainabilityApply Now
Responsible for the development and integration of energy and utility strategies for the entire PetSmart footprint including stores, distribution centers, Home Office and technical spaces. Oversees the purchases, cost forecasting, conservation efforts, and conservation rebate management for all company stores, corporate offices, and distribution centers. Directs energy and utility buying strategies using market timing based on fundamental and technical market analysis, oversees energy and utility contract negotiation, agreements and administration, and evaluates performance and risk of current agreements and programs to reduce costs, increase total value, and improve supplier relationships.
Sustainability: Recommends and promotes energy conservation and energy management programs, and leads a cross-functional team in researching and recommending practical strategies and energy efficient, cost-conscious equipment that deliver the best long-term value to the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates and manages company energy and utility cost forecasts and partners with Finance as well as a third party consultant to develop annual utility budgets for all locations.
- Develops cost reduction strategies for PetSmart and drives partnerships across the business to support that strategy.
- Direct the management of energy expenses using PetSmart’s Energy Management System (EMS) that controls consumption levels in our facilities.
- Research, source, and negotiate contracts for third-party providers of energy support services such as procurement, energy management, invoice processing, energy rebate management and other services as needed.
- Manage store utility account set up, transfer, and termination processes and work with third party to approve deposits/surety bonds as needed.
- Identify and process utility rate optimization, tax savings, rebate revenue, and refunds.
- Determine the best overall energy and utility purchase strategies in both regulated and deregulated markets.
- Oversee utility bill payment, exceptions, accruals, changes, utility data integrity and data collection activities, and periodic reporting and trend analysis of utility cost, and consumption.
- Champion the procurement process throughout the organization. Cultivate and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, suppliers, affiliates, and professional organizations.
- Utilize information from industry colleagues, professional organizations, and other related industry associations to identify, benchmark, and implement best practices.
- Retain information resources, whether public or private, which provide information on energy and utility markets, conservation, and energy management trends.
- Develop and lead implementation of PetSmart’s sustainability strategy.
- Create communication practices to all PetSmart departments on company’s sustainability strategy.
- Lead development of PetSmart’s Annual Sustainability Report using 3rd party and/or internal resources.
- Benchmark PetSmart’s sustainability program against industry standards and associations.
- Ability to manage other Strategic Sourcing assignments that are non-energy related as needed to support the team.
- Ability to present in a clear and concise manner to senior management
- EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in business or operations with strong understanding of strategy development and implementation.
- A good understanding of facilities management preferred; five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of energy and utility procurement processes, procedures, sourcing strategies, negotiation strategies, and best practices preferred.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) or LEED Accredited Professional designations preferred, other professional certifications a plus (e.g. CPM, CPIM, CPSM).
- Understanding and experience in developing vision and strategy to a specific business unit which supports a higher level strategy.
- Understanding and experience in energy management practices and conservation programs preferred
- Expertise in regulated and deregulated energy market purchase, and energy and utility contract risk assessment and management preferred
- Project and process management experience
- Budgeting and cost forecasting expertise (energy utility budgets preferred)
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to influence others, engage in and manage complex conversations, oral and written agreements
- Ability to interpret and utilize key financial and statistical data
- Team player that develops and maintains effective working relationships with internal and external business partners
- Strong analytical, problem solving, presentation, and communication skills
- Ability to quantify analyses and present findings
- Excellent planning, organizational, and prioritizing skills
- Very strong knowledge of Excel, Word, and other advanced applications
- Project management experience
- Experience managing buying in chains of 500 locations or more
- Self-starter who stays current on the energy category and applies knowledge to improve the business